Q 104: Concrete Dams Design Innovation and Performance
- Innovations for arch dam analysis, design and construction; including RCC arch and arch- gravity dams.
- Innovations for design, construction materials and placement methods, flood management during construction and performance of concrete dams, including RCC and cemented material dams.
- Innovations for raising existing concrete dams.
- Innovations for extremely high concrete dams.
- Operational performance of concrete dams during the life cycle, including under extreme conditions.
Q 105: Incidents and Accidents concerning dams
- Recent lessons from incidents and accidents concerning dams during the life cycle, including during construction.
- Evaluation of the flows and flood, estimation and quantification of the consequences, including social, economic and environmental aspects, in case of failure or incidents.
- Emergency planning: regulation, organisation, information of the population and examples of implementation.
- Governance of the safety: definition of the responsibilities, periodic reviews, implementation tests, organisation of lessons learned implementation.
Q 106: Surveillance, Instrumentation, Monitoring and Data Acquisition and Processing
- Long term performance of existing surveillance systems including reliability and accuracy ; importance of visual inspections.
- New technologies in dam and foundation instrumentation and monitoring.
- Data acquisition and processing to evaluate the behavior of dams, predict and identify incidents.
- Understanding and handling of large quantity of data, including artificial intelligence approach.
Q 107: Dams and Climate Change
- Impacts of climatic change on existing dams and reservoirs and remedies; case studies and costs.
- Impacts of climatic change on needs and designs of dams, reservoirs and levees (water storage, floods mitigation, oceans raising).
- Favourable impacts of dams on the climatic change, including greenhouse gases reduction by optimisation of hydroelectric generation. Needs, potential and cost of energy pumped storage.
- Unfavourable impacts of dams and reservoirs on climatic change: evaluation of greenhouse gases emissions by reservoirs and dams construction.