Young Engineers Forum
Call for Mentor Volunteers
for the Mentoring Program addressed to Young Engineers for the 27th ICOLD-CIGB Congress in Marseille 2021
Are you a person with a solid and inspiring experience ?
Would you like to share your experiences with younger engineers ?
Are you curious to listen to their perception of the world of dams ?
We need your help !
We are fortunate to be part of a naturally inspiring professional environment. However, the latter does not escape society changes, and it is important to maintain an intergenerational transmission of know-how and values of our professions, while adapting to the challenges and perceptions of the younger and future generations on an international level. The ICOLD meetings are privileged opportunities for these exchanges.
Within the ICOLD-CIGB Congress 2021 to be held in Marseille, we would like to continue the successful mentoring experience that took place in Ottawa in 2019, during which young engineers could discuss in small groups with experienced and inspiring engineers about a wide variety of topics in the field of dams.
These privileged gatherings allow young engineers, but also "mentors", to exchange more freely on more personal subjects and experiences. The mentor can not only pass on an engineering philosophy or raise awareness on subjects he considers important, but also advise the young engineer on the course of his career and strengthen the meaning he gives to his professional actions and, more generally, strengthen his motivation. These exchanges are also privileged opportunities to compare and reconcile the perceptions of young and elder engineer generations, on an international scale, and to broaden professional networks.
The format of the exchanges would be organized as follows:
- Sessions of 30-45 min consisting in a set of round tables, each gathering one mentor for 6 young engineers around the topic proposed beforehand by the mentor (the sessions would take place during lunch break during the three days of the event);
- The architecture of the 30-45 min exchange is unrestricted but should be in an informal discussion format, such as to encourage interactive participation of the young engineers. It could take for example the following form:
- 5min – Professional background and how did you push the door to the world of dams?
- 5min – Most outstanding experience (most exotic? beautiful? motivating? instructive? Surprising?)
- 30min – Topic/experience that the mentor wishes to share and discuss;
- 5 min – Tips and tricks for an inspiring and successful career;
As to give you some examples, the topics discussed in Ottawa in 2019 are attached to this communication.
We very much appreciate you taking the time to consider this opportunity, and if you are interested in sharing your experience as a mentor please contact us at email@example.com.
The CFBR Young Engineer Group and the Marseille 2021 Organizing Committee